S.P.E.C.I.E.S. believes that the unique ecological and behavioral adaptations of the clouded leopard, along with their distinctive appearance, make them an ideal candidate for a “flagship” species. We believe is so much that we chose this small “big cat” as our logo!
Through Project Neofelis, SPECIES aims to promote the clouded leopard as a flagship species, bringing much needed awareness and urgency to its conservation.
We aim to:
- Use clouded leopard camera trap ‘by-catch’ data to better inform conservation planning.
- Establish collaborative outreach projects and population surveys in every country throughout its range.
- Use our focus on clouded leopards as an example to emphasize the need for awareness and protection of smaller, more endangered, feline species including the bay cat (Catopuma badia), marbled cat (Pardofelis marmot) and flat-headed cat (Prionailurus planiceps).
- Connect the public with clouded leopards through social media, engaging video content, graphic design, and classroom education.
- Develop a professional network facilitating greater collaboration and information sharing among stakeholders.